Thursday, January 3, 2008

Gram's Cinnamon Rolls

Okay, these are made out of the same dough that my Grams uses for Dinner Rolls ... so, follow that recipe:

2 Cups warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast – (I use Rapid Rise)
½ Cup sugar
1/3 to ½ Cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Eggs
4 ½ to 5 Cups of flour - (do not use more than 5 cups)

Put warm water and yeast in large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. I use my hand mixer to mix it up cause I don’t have a bread mixer. Turn oven to warm for about 1 or 2 minutes just enough to warm the oven and put dough in oven to raise. It will take about 20 or 30 minutes, it should be double in bulk. Pour out on floured cupboard and sprinkle flour on top so that you can roll out the dough, spread with melted butter.

For Cinnamon rolls after you have spread the butter sprinkle a generous amount of brown sugar and then a generous amount of cinnamon. Roll up dough making the roll tight and cut with a long piece of thread that has been doubled or if you have a real sharp knife you can use that, put thread underneath the dough and bring up to crisscross and dough is cut. Place in pan just barely touching each other and let raise until double in bulk. Bake at 350* for 15 - 20 minutes.

THIS DOUGH WILL BE SOFT AND YOU MIGHT FIND IS A LITTLE HARD TO HANDLE, BUT THAT IS WHAT MAKES THESE ROLLS GOOD!!! Too much flour will ruin them.

For icing its just powdered sugar, milk, and cream cheese, and Vanilla. Ice the cinnamon rolls while hot.

* Again, compliments of my Grams ... good luck with the icing measurements. Sorry you don't have a Grams to make them for you. lol.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Ok, so I made these cinnamon rolls tonight. I have a few tips that might help someone else out.
1. These are delicious and very light!
2. When she says "pour out onto floured cupboard" she means it! The dough is very very soft. Make sure the surface is very heavily floured and that is a fairly wide surface you have to work on.
3. She forgot to put that you cook these at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. (mine took about 19)
4. They actually turned out great, which is major accomplishment for me, I'm a yeast killer. I think this is the first yeast bread I've ever made that has risen properly. I did use the rapid rise yeast.
5. When you make the frosting, make sure the cream cheese defrosts in the fridge or it could turn out grainy. Cream the cheese first (8 oz), add about a tsp of milk at a time, use about a tsp of vanilla, and about 2 cups of powdered sugar.
6. Be very careful not to add too much milk, probably 1 or 2 tsp is enough. You can always thin later if it is too thick.
Enjoy, I know I will (and did)

Gary Church said...

I added the bake time ... whoops! This came in email format ... I should have proof read better. I'm glad you liked them. You are BRAVE! I'm not sure I'll ever try to make them ... I'll just beg Grams when I get a hankering. lol.