Monday, November 19, 2007

Pot Roast for Dummies

Okay, I'm sure that most of y'all know how to make a good roast ... this is for those who want to learn. Oh, and this isn't my picture ... it's Food Networks ... but it will do. I had 12 ravenous adults eating at my house yesterday and I think they would have KILLED me on the spot if I asked to wait to take a picture. But I still wanted something to get your taste buds going.1 eye of round roast
1-2 onions; depending on their size
6-20 potatoes; depending on how many you're feeding
a whole lotta carrots; everyone loves carrots
8 beef bullion cubes; I don't use beef broth because I like the concentrated flavor from the bullion.
garlic salt (I love Lawry's)
crushed pepper

*This is the most crucial step: Coat all sides of roast with garlic salt and pepper; sear roast in screaming hot skillet, coated with olive oil, until all sides are caramelized. This step is so crucial because it locks in and seals all the juices into the meat. Add the bullion cubes and 1 cup of water to the bottom of a crock pot, and turn it to HIGH. (if you don't have a crock pot ... go get one ... I don't know how you've made it this far without one) Cut up the onion; don't dice it ... you want rings ... think onion rings, or half rings. Place fully seared meat on top of bullion cubes. Dump onions on top of meat. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on HIGH. The meat will be falling apart ... this is what makes a good roast! For the last hour, add your carrots and potatoes, unless you plan to make mashed potatoes and gravy from the beef drippings ... which is what I did yesterday ... it's all gone now. It was that good. Then again, we had 12 adults eating. That could have had something to do with it. Oh, and don't forget to make some peas ... there's nothing like gravy with peas. YUM!


1 comments:

Claire said...

mmmmmmmm!! I've had your pot roast and it really is that good. Maybe I should make one soon. It's getting cold again- perfect weather for it.