Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Rice and Beans



We call this recipe gallo pinto at our house. It is a traditional food of Nicaragua, and they eat it at almost every meal. There are two versions, the authentic (fatty and hard to get right) version and then there is my easy, fast and low-fat version. Believe me you don't want to even attempt the authentic one, so I'm not going to give it to you. Janette wanted things she would actually make, so here is an easy side-dish. Just so you know my kids eat it.

Gallo Pinto
2 cups instant white rice
1 1/2 cups water
Garlic Powder
Salt
Ground cloves (optional)
Minced onion (I use dried onion)
1 can ranch style black beans (you can also use red beans, more traditional)
1 Tbsp veg. oil

Spray a big frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and brown the rice over med-high heat, if you are using fresh onions brown them as well. Add the water, garlic powder, salt, onions and clove (sorry I don't have measurements, it really is to taste). Cover, reduce heat. After about 5 minutes add the can of beans, warm through. Taste, and add whichever spice you think it needs more of. If you think it is a bit bland then add the oil.

That's it, I've never written it down before, so if it seems odd and confusing I'm sorry! Sometimes we eat it with a fried egg, sour cream, bread, or some cheese.
PS My son is usually dressed, but I was tired so I didn't fight it. That's why I made rice and beans, it's easy and the kids like it. No fight and one dish to clean.

0 comments: