Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sugared Hush Puppies

I made Kim's recipe for sugar cookies for Valentines cookies last month ... and froze some of the leftover dough. I didn't feel like rolling out cookies yesterday, so I just used a pizza cutter to cut the dough into squares ... and then I went a little crazy. I'll re-post the recipe for the cookies here ... but I want to give Kim ALL the credit. These are the best sugar cookies I've ever had ... and I'll never make another recipe again. Amen.


Kim is right ... What is great about these cookies is they always stay soft.

Cookies
3 c flour
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
14 oz. can Eagle brand milk
3/4 c butter, softened
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla ... or 1 1/2 tsp almond extract

Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 TBS milk
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Colored Sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 drops food coloring

Preheat oven to 350*. Combine dry ingredients. Cream other together . . . Add to the dry ingredients. Chill. Again, I just used a pizza cutter to cut the dough into semi-perfect squares, about 3/4 inch thick ... so much thicker than you'd do for rolled cookies. Then, in small Ziploc baggies, combine sugar and food coloring ... then shake like crazy until the color distributes to all the sugar. Take a couple squares of dough at a time and shake them in the colored sugar. Then place in a greased mini muffin pan. This is the idea ...Then bake them at 350* for about 10-12 minutes ... they're done when the tops crack and the sugar crystallizes ... don't brown them.

Using an electric mixer, combine powdered sugar, milk, and extract until very smooth. Drizzle over cooled hush puppies. YUM!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

What a great idea! Those a SO cute. I am definately going to be making those.

Kim said...

Thanks Jannette for the endorsement ... You made my day! Kim

lyn said...

great idea! love it!