6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lbs total)
1/3 C cornmeal
2 T taco seasoning mix
1 4-oz can whole green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise
2 oz Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six 2 x 1/2-inch sticks
2 T fresh parsley
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t crushed red pepper
1 8-oz jar taco sauce or salsa
1/2 C shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
1. Place each chicken breast half in a Ziploc bag or between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove from Ziploc bag.
2. In a bowl, combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix.
3. Place egg in another bowl; beat lightly.
4. For each roll, place a chili pepper half on a chicken piece. Place a cheese stick atop chili pepper near an edge. Sprinkle with some of the parsley, black pepper, and red pepper.
5. Fold in sides; roll up jelly-roll style, starting from edge with cheese.
6. Dip rolls into egg and coat with cornmeal mixture.
7. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan.
8. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
9. Heat taco sauce. If desires, sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese.
10. Serve with taco sauce.
Nutrition: 235 calories; 10 g total fat
(Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
Wednesday, February 13, 2008