Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sauteed Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce

This recipe will probably be remembered as the first real "meal" I cooked in our married life. Mind you, it was after we had been married for over two months! Opps, sorry JT. Somehow I never did a lot of cooking growing up, and frankly, I don't know what I ate in college because I don't remember cooking anything. But with a kitchen decked out in wonderful wedding gifts of pink kitchen tools, I couldn't help myself. I have the baking bug. My kitchen bible is Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" recipe book, and the binding often seems to open up to this page ...


Sauteed Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce
Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (6 ounces each)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine, or chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried tarragon, (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh)


Directions
Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate; keep warm.


Pour wine (or chicken broth) into hot skillet; cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Whisk in cream, mustard, and tarragon. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes.


Pour any accumulated chicken juices into sauce. Right before serving, drizzle cream sauce over chicken.


Nutritional Facts:
Per serving
359 Calories
19.9 Grams of fat
40 Grams protein
1.2 Grams Carbohydrates
0.3 Gram Fiber


This dish is delicious served with asparagus and red potatoes on the side. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Janice said...

Janette - one of my first "real" meals after getting married included lima beans.

I used a dish that was only for the oven - not for stovetop - and it exploded all over the kitchen. Beans were everywhere.

I also vividly remember making a cheesecake (must have been a mix) and instead of using sugar - I put in salt... Like a whole cup of it. I served it to the "then guy that I was married to" and his face puckered up like a prune.

Needless to say, it wasn't on purpose, however, as I look back - I do look back with malice and forethought as the marriage was a horrible mistake (except for my beautiful daughter Jennifer). Do you think my subconscious took over and had me reach for the salt??

j

Gary Church said...

ROTF -- SO FUNNY!!