Friday, September 28, 2007

Church Family Salsa

This recipe is according to Gary's mom, Jane Church ... and I LOVE all her side notes ... and I agree with all of them.

14 cups peeled, pureed tomatoes
7 whole fresh jalapenos (or 3 1/2 oz. can diced) *note: the seeds in the fresh jalapeno make it hot...the more seeds, the hotter.*
3 large chopped onions
1 1/2 cups vinegar
3 Tbs. plain salt
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. garlic powder
3 Tbs. red chilies *(these are way hot...I use about 2 tsp.)*
1/2 tsp. marjoram
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 cup parsley flakes
green peppers

Cook uncovered 20 - 45 minutes. (Optional ..add 1/2 cup cornstarch to thicken.*I never do)*Process 20 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts.

3 comments:

Knight knughts said...

I want to be added. Nette@dallasscreenmobile.com

Gary Church said...

Hi There!

I've sent you an invite. If you'd like to be added to the list of contributors where abouts, just leave a comment with your first name and state. THANKS!

Janette

Angela said...

Great recipe. Thanks, Janette.

Next time we will seed and juice the tomatoes too like this article says: http://www.pickyourown.org/salsa_withcilantro.php