Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rachel Ray's Swedish Meatballs On Noodles

I tried this recipe last week. MMMMM! I have never made swedish meatballs homemade, I always used a mix from the store. This was definately worth the little extra work, but with all Rachel Ray meals, it really only took 30 minutes. We did think the sweet pickles sounded weird, but tried it anyway and it was definately a great flavor to add. The recipe says that it makes four servings, I disagree with that assumption unless you are filling huge platters as one serving. It makes a ton. Try it.

1 3/4 pounds ground sirloin
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 small onion chopped
A healthy grating of Nutmeg, nothing beats freshly grated Nutmeg
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (3 handfuls) chopped
Freshly ground Black Pepper
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
2 cups Beef Stock
1 TBSP Red Currant or Grape Jelly
1 cup Heavy Cream or Sour Cream
1/2 lb. wide egg noodles
Salt
2 TBSP Butter
8 cornichons or 6 baby gherkins(sweet pickles) for garnish (I had to Google Cornichon to see what is was)

Place ground sirloin in a large mixing bowl and punch a well into the center. Fill the well with the egg, bread crumbs, onion, nutmeg, half of the chopped parsley, and a little salt and pepper. Mix up the meatball ingredients until well combined, yet not overmixed. Divide the mix into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into 6 balls, (I actually like smaller meatballs so I made 8 for each part). Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes, giving the pan a good shake now and then. Add the stock, jelly, and heavy cream or sour cream. Bring it up to a bubble, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.

Place a large pot of water on to boil. Add the noodles and season the water with salt. Cook until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the egg noodles and shake dry. Put the noodles back in the hot pot and add the remaining chopped parsley and the butter and season with salt and pepper. Stir until butter has melted. Top the noodles with the meatballs, their sauce and the pickles.

This is great comfort food!!!

9 comments:

Steph said...

I came across your blog and love it! My girlfriends and I have a recipe blog also. Do you mind if I link yours to my page?

Gary Church said...

I certainly don't mind ... and on behalf of the other 42 contributors to this blog, I give you permission. lol. Thanks so much! Happy cooking!

Steph said...

Thank you! I'll add it now. Feel free to check it out.

Melissa G. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gary Church said...

Melissa, I sent you an invite ... if you want, let me know your home state and I'll add you on the right. Thanks!

Gary Church said...

Oh yeah ... welcome!

Melissa G. said...

Thanks! I'm in Texas!

Hey I can't seem to locate the invite. Did you send it on Jan 18?

Gary Church said...

Yep ... I'll resend it. Sorry about that!

Melissa G. said...

I just discovered the invites in my "junk" box. Sorry! So I'm official now!